In 1949, a group of concerned parents in Chemung County that had children with Cerebral Palsy gathered together to give support to each other and find educational resources for their children.
The mission was to advocate for services for the children. The group grew and changed over the next several years, and eventually Ann B. LeMark was hired as the first employee. Ann’s mission was to handle the administrative functions and to travel the area and work with agencies and families, matching services with needs.
The first residential building was constructed in 1984 on Ithaca Road in Horseheads to provide services in Day Treatment and Residential living for those with special needs. In 1992, we moved administrative offices into the old Edgeworth School on Charles Street and named it the Ann B. LeMark Children’s Center.
Today, they serve hundreds of families per year with a staff of nearly 250 employees. Programs now include Clinical Services, Community Support Services, Day Services and Service Coordination.